That Car Seats have an expiration date?
I had no idea. I was talking with a friend the other day who also just had a baby and she was telling me about how she had to buy a new car seat for her baby since hers was now over six years old and had expired. I said, "What?" And she explained to me that car seats are only good for six years, in fact many of them now have an expiration date printed right on the seat. And I said, "Why?" And so then she explained to me that over time the plastic corrodes and deteriorates. She said she went to a demonstration one time where a police officer threw an old car seat into the road and it shattered, SHATTERED! That's scary. So after that conversation I came home and googled it. I found this article. Along with this clip from you tube.
This shows that the straps can also become ineffective do to wear and tear. So it looks like come January, we will also be purchasing new car seats.
Apple Stamped Cards for Back to School
-
Apples just shout “Back to School“! Plus they’re perfectly in season all
fall long. So we’re sharing a fun take on the apple by making art with an
apple ...
3 days ago

3 comments:
yeah, thanks for the reminder. I'm wondering if Allie's car seat is ok. We bought it 5 years ago but I think it was new, but a year old. A discontinued model. I've got to check it out.
Did you also know that if you are in a car accident - the car seats HAVE to be replaced...when I was in the accident the police were insistant telling us to replace the seats as soon as we could - we went from the accident to Target - (most insurance companies will pay for the replacements - you just have to ask)
I did know that you are suppose to replace car seats after an accident, but I did not know your insurance would cover the cost, good to know (hopefully I will never need to, but still good to know).
Post a Comment