Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dolly Week

I haven't been that quick to comment on the performances last night because I wasn't really impressed either way with any of them. I didn't feel like any of them were that great or any were really that bad either. So that doesn't leave much to say.

So here are some thoughts. First, I was really worried about the guys, especially Jason, David Cook and Michael Johns having to sing a Dolly song. But all of them did pretty well I thought. Usually I totally agree with Simon, but last night I did disagree with him about Jason. I really liked what he did last night. But I know I'm not in the majority. The buzz on the internet is that he is expected to be in the bottom three again.(sorry Deann!)Archie did good, but I don't think he captured that same magic he created with "Imagine."

As for the girls, Carly, I'm just bored of. For me, she almost gets it right but never quite makes it and I have given up on her. Ramiele I thought had the worst performance, but even hers wasn't that bad. Syesha took on the big "I will always love you" I really agreed with Simon on this. She should have completely stayed away from Whitney's version. I actually wish she wouldn't have sung it at all and one of the guys would have attempted it. I was really surprised Kristy didn't sing the classic "9 to 5" to get more of those all American country votes. Brooke could have really hit it big with "Jolene" but as Simon said, she didn't bring the emotion that goes with a song like that. Apparently, she isn't worried about another woman taking her husband.

So who deserves to be in the bottom three? Beside Ramiele, I really don't know.

As for other Idol talk:

I've also just started to hear the other rumors going around about Archie's dad. Hopefully they aren't true. Have you heard these?

Last week we went to Archie's home town of Murray and saw "Murray Idol" that city still has a lot of talent. The girl who won, Lauren, is amazing. Rumor is, American Idol is coming to Salt Lake next time for auditions. About time! We have so much talent here in Utah. Everyone was trying to convince Lauren to try out, but she said she was nervous, hopefully she does!

A funny story about her. After all of the singers perform they come out into the audience and you can meet them. Kennedy was really excited about this. She wanted to meet the girls she was voting for. Unfortunately, her votes were more based off of what the girls were wearing (hers had a pretty pink dress with a flower in her hair) instead of the singing talent (So maybe Simon has a point when he critics wardrobe). Well, she went up to the girl she wanted to vote for, but the girl was kind of rude to her and ignored her. I convinced Kennedy to go and talk to Lauren. Kennedy went up and started talking to her, and she was very nice to her. Well, after a few minutes Lauren said, "Are you voting for me?" And Kennedy just looked at her dumb struck, and Lauren said, "You aren't! Are you?" But in a very nice teasing sort of way. Joe and I made sure to let Lauren know afterward that we both were voting for her along with Jackson. I'm glad she won.

Archie's Mom was also at Murray Idol. I recognized her immediately but Joe didn't believe me. Finally he asked the people in charge and they said it was her. Funny thing was, by the end of the night people were swarming her like she was some kind of celebrity.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I actually thought last night was pretty good by almost everyone (excluding Ramiele and KLC). Jason has too much "folk" in him for this competition. He is boring to me. I agreed with Randy that DA was the best of the night but Michael Johns was a close second. You can't really compare Imagine to last nights song because Imagine is more well known. But I think it was one of his best.

The girls bore me to death!

ps. ummmm no invite to Murray Idol? I didn't even know they did that!

Dee said...

What rumors about Archuletta's dad? I haven't heard.

So funny that his mom is a celebrity of Utah now.

That was fun to read. I sure love Dolly. That was a really fun night for me to watch. Castro was adorable!
I totally agree with you about Carly.

Stacy said...

OK, so this is the third time I've tried to leave this comment now, my computer is wigging out on me. I'm about to throw it out the window. ANYWAY...

Eliza, I didn't know Murray did that either. Joe actually sold a house to the woman who is the MC for it and she gave Joe free tickets.

Deann, I'm surprised you haven't heard about the rumors. I thought you were a Chelsea Lately fan, that is actually where I first heard about them. It's a little sad how much "news" I get from comedic talk shows.

So for the rumors, there are lots floating around that David's Dad, Jeff, is a horrible stage Dad.

First, there are reports saying Jeff was banned from Star Search while David was a contestant when he was 12 because Jeff was harassing the other finalist (who was also only 12).

Second, there are other reports saying Jeff is responsible for David's horrible performance of "We Can Work It Out" because he was so hard on him during rehearsal to the point David was in tears.

You can read about those here.

Third, there are other reports saying when Simon told David, "I don't think that is you at all and I'd be amazed if you chose the song yourself." after he sang "We are the voice." That was a direct attack on Jeff and his overbearingness toward David.

You can read about that

Of course there are other reports refuting these stories. Like this
one. Hopefully they really aren't true and it's just the media trying to make up a scoop.

Stacy said...

OK, my links got messed up somehow (stupid computer!) I even previewed it and it was fine in the preview.

Read about Simon here.

And about the refuting here.
If it messes up again, I'm sorry but I've tried my best!

Dee said...

I totally believe his dad is like that. I thought David had a little Micheal Jackson flavor about him. (you know, Michael's dad is notorious for his abuse towards his children...Michael and Janet are so screwed up) Poor kid. That is so sad.